The Lord your God is in your midst, a victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His Love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joys. ~Zephaniah 3:17~



Monday, August 13, 2012

Suicide

Sunday, my sisterchick Rhonda came to church, something she rarely does anymore.  Last year, she lost her daughter to suicide. 

During a particular song in church, our pastor broke down and cried.  It reminded him of his dear friend whom he had lost to cancer.  Dana heart was so big and even 2 years later, his absence in the community is still felt.  It was during this time of pastor crying, that Rhonda broke down, grieving her own loss.

This past week, I watched a Godvine video about a young lady who had lost her best guy friend to suicide and how it had spiraled her into despair.  Thankfully, she got help.  Two statements in her message impacted me.
           1.  Suicide doesn't just kill you, it also kills the ones you love. 
           2.  Suicide doesn't stop the pain, it just spreads it to those who loves you.

Another friend of mine, a couple of years ago, lost her son to suicide.  At that time, my boss shared with me something he had heard, "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem".

I reflect back on all the times I comtemplated suicide, both as young person and as an adult.  Although I have many issues in my life (work in progress), I am grateful that suicide is no longer an option.  I pray against that for my son, who has also considered suicide.  Sadly, his biological father did commit suicide.

My heart aches for those who have lost a loved one to suicide.  It is so sad to see so many who are without hope.  Over the past 4 years, I have not been able to give hope to others as I was losing mine.  However, as I stated in a previous post, I am ready to be a lump of clay. I am ready to give hope to others.


1 Peter 3:14-16
 
14 But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled, 15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; 16 and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame.

4 comments:

  1. I am sorry for all you have gone through...trust in Jesus! do not despair...give your grief away to Him...
    you have had a lot to deal with...when I read the lives of the saints I wonder how they could handle all of the stuff that happens...yet their faith grows stronger...keep the faith!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of encouragement. I, too, wonder how the saints could handle all that was thrown at them.

      FAITH!! Mine is getting stronger.

      Delete
  2. I never was suicidal, but I can sure see how one gets there. So many of the things said to the suicidal (like the ones you put above) actually encourage them to do it, because they are in such a closed, isolated world.Breaking out of that isolation is the key-and the hardest thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! The cocoon of isolation can so encapsulate us that it is almost impossible to break free. First, as with other life changes, a person has to want to break out. And you are right, it is the hardest thing to do.

      Having been a foster parent, it broke my heart to know that some of my girls, due to sexual abuse, had attempted suicide before they were even in their teens. I wish I had known Jesus back then so that I could offer them hope. Before she graduated high school,Dawn did eventually take her life.

      I loved being a foster parent, but it was situations like with Dawn, that made it difficult.

      Delete