The Lord your God is in your midst, a victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His Love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joys. ~Zephaniah 3:17~



Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Lump of Clay!

I started this blog as Help Me Jesus!  I was in a very painful place in my life.  So much of my past chomping at my rear, dragging me down.  Issues with my mom and my son.  My one bright spot, my Roo.

While not everything I have thought or said has made its was to this blog, believe me, there has been much ugliness come out of my mouth.  I so thought that part of me was gone but every time I saw my mom, I saw betrayal, I hated her and I took every opportunity to let her know she was nothing more than crap beneath my feet.  I took pleasure in making sure she felt every pain I did while growing up in her home.  I prided myself on letting her know she was not worthy of my love.

Talk about a battle.  Almost daily my chest hurt at the war raging within.  At times, I felt like I was on a battlefield, with horses and men tromping all over my heart.  It was a very physical pain.  I have cussed and screamed at God, shook my puny little fist at Him and called Him a liar.  I was ready to walk away from God, from what I considered His lies.  He became just someone else promising me that one day I would be whole, that I would be a human being, capable of loving and trusting.  Yet, all I could see was an evil puppetmaster, yanking my strings, laughing maniacally while I did his bidding.

I knew I needed Jesus, yet satan's whispered lies became the voice of truth in my head. 

In spite of my blatant disrespect and anger, God continued to love on me, to show me His faithfulness.  I yo-yoed up and down in my faith, still hurting, still angry, striving to forgive, desiring to forget, I felt guilty that I wanted to wake up one morning and find my mom had died in her sleep so my pain would be gone. For 20 years I have asked God for a family, a godly husband and all He gave me was the one who betrayed me. And then, He allowed Waylon and Roo to be removed from my life.  How can God be so cruel?

And yet, I would see the beauty He created in the flowers and the fawns, the sunrises and sunsets.  I ate of the bounty He had supplied. I lived in the home and drove the car He had provided.

Amidst the pain and confusion, was the still small of voice of God asking me trust him, to believe that He would turn my ashes into beauty.  And so I timidly clung to hope while trying to silence the whispered lies of satan that were running amok in my head. 

I grew tired of my christian facade.  When you tell people you are trying to overcome the abuse of your childhood, they look at me and think, hey, you are in your fifties, get over it.

One day, while listening to the radio, I happened to hear a radio show with Kay Arthur as the guest speaker.  They were discussing her book, When the Hurt Runs Deep.  She explained that when people blame God, it is because they do not know his character and suggested people study the first five books of the Bible in order to understand His character.  It is funny, that although she has written books, she tells you that the only book you need is the Bible, that all the other books should be tools but not your authority.

When mom moved in, I became an adulterer.  I chose to lay in the bed of the world, with anger and hate as my cover.  Part of my sabbatical is to renew and strengthen my relationship with Christ, to grab hold of who God is, to once again become a bride of Christ and put my adulterous ways behind me. I want to surrender my all to Him once and for all, to put on the garment of praise. I want to come away from my sabbatical ready to be molded. 

I want to be a lump of clay. 

4 comments:

  1. God understands getting distracted by the world- or whatever chunk of it you get stuck with. He gives us guilt to let us know when we're too distracted. And every once in a while we have to come to the realization that what we want, and think we need, isn't in God's plan. We can either take that thing as a constant reminder of what we won't have, or just move on to His plan. I also spent a lot of time praying for a wife, and chose my own instead of letting Him choose. Never comes out well, not for a Christian. That's when Satan can get his "I'd be better off if I wasn't a Christian" digs in.

    But it's crap, because patience puts you in God's better place. And worrying about what you didn't get is like standing in Sinai wishing you were back in Egypt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to Kay Arthur this week, she talks about us being about our Father's business.

      I used to beg God to use me and I was OK with not having a spouse. Waylon was not in my life much at the time either. In fact, my family pretty much wanted nothing to do with me except when they wanted something. Not much has changed on that.

      When God put my mom in my house, I lost my focus. I became bogged down with hating her and hurting her. I can't even stand her to touch me.

      BUT, life is not about me, which is why this sabbatical has become so important to me. I need to get my focus back, I need to die to self.

      I do not just want to go through the motions of being a christian. I facilitate a ladies group at church and a Wednesday "email" prayer group. I feel like such a phony.

      I want to be authentic. I want my peace back. I miss my joy.

      It would nice to be married however, having family in the house I realized 2 things. 1. I do not live well with others 2. I like my privacy, my solitude.

      I would settle for someone to once in awhile go fishing with or just hang out.

      CW, keep holding me accountable and speaking truth into my life.

      Delete
  2. We are very similar. I feel a need to be with someone- but not good at it. Laurie doesn't want to be married but accepts that a person can't get by alone in this world. We respect each others needs, both for socialization and privacy. In other words, we're a pretty good match, and as soon as I stopped looking for someone one my own, God put us together.

    Feeling like a phony is something we all go through- and if you don't, you probably are one. I've struggled with returning to church life for this very reason. I'm not ready to fight the "Oh my God, you live together and expect us to believe you're not living in sin?" anymore. I know our situation is justified in God's eyes, and just got tired of getting that through to others- especially when even if I find someone to agree, it becomes a "now, here are the things that you are eligible to do in this church, and these things you aren't" deal. Hard to keep your joy in a situation like that. But the one problem with all churches is they have people in them, and as long as man is fallen you'll have "rule-checkers" ready to pounce.

    I hope Waylon wakes up someday and realizes what he's costing Roo, if not himself.

    Long ago I went to Promise Keepers, and followed it up with a week to myself. I know it can be a positive thing- BUT you've got to be willing to do most of the listening. Your retreat will do no good if you come into it thinking of how to talk God into "your side".

    And remember- God is more stubborn than you. Trust me on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not ever one to really want to be around people, but the more God heals me, the more I enjoy my friends. Davey and I used to go fishing but his health keeps him at home, plus I moved 2 hours away.

      When mom and then Waylon moved in, I realized I wanted someone to grow old with and my mom was not that person. My friends are all married and it is rough to be "fit in" to their family schedules.

      It isn't so much that I want someone in my life as I do not want her. While there was a time I was very ugly to her, now I treat her as someone in a social setting. Still do not want her to touch me. The mother-daughter bond was severed a long time ago and I really don't want one with her.

      Please do not get me wrong, mom has a good heart, willing to help anyone. I just don't trust her when it comes to my life. She allowed what happened, her pride not letting her seek help. Of course back then, there was not the available help there is now. Anyway, she chose her husband over protecting her children from his sexual and mental abuse. He was a very violent man. My sister was allowed to beat me. If my sister got in trouble, I got punished. Mom could not bring herself to punish my sister and not me too. Until she married Rex, everything was all about my sister. My dad died right after I turned 4 and because my sister looked like him, she became mom's favorite. Mom wants to make up for it but it is only because she has no place else to go. My sister has been living between her 2 daughters for 4 years and can't take mom in.

      Other than my son and Roo, my family means nothing to me. One of my nieces said my husband molested her. She was 12 and already sexually active. When my husband left me, I became the scape goat for his actions. Of course, the molestation did not happen but by the time she admitted it, the family ties were severed. I have forgiven them, but see no need to be a part of their lives.

      I know I am messed up but believe me, I am much better than I was 20 years ago.

      Delete