The Lord your God is in your midst, a victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His Love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joys. ~Zephaniah 3:17~



Sunday, August 5, 2012

A mini sabbatical

I am taking a 10 day mini sabbatical at the end of August, leaving after work on the 31st and returning to work on 9/11.  My dear friend has a small ranch (about 1.5 hours drive from my house), just sheep and goats, with a one room cabin.  For 10 days, the cabin is mine. They do not live there, just periodically go there for a get away.  Julie has assured me the mice have left the cabin.  There is no cell phone service and no computers (shouting hallelujah in case you can't hear me) and NO AIR CONDITIONER.  To cool down for sleeping, you take a dip in the stock tank (no stock drink out of this one) that is filled with ice cold well water.  Hard to imagine triple digit temps yet the ground water is sooooooo very cold.  To shower, you step outside to the shower stall.

For 9 of those 10 days, I do not plan to leave the ranch.  One of those days, I do plan to come in town, visit the stores, eat shrimp enchiladas for lunch and stock up on fresh veggies for the rest of my visit.  I know it is only 14 miles but I have a girdle budget for my time away.

I desire to accomplish just a few things while I am gone.  One, REST.  Lots of rest.  Notice I said rest, not sleep. Sleep may not be much due to the heat and no a/c.  I am a morning person and sleeping in just doesn't happen, so looking for some good rest.

My main goal, get on my face before the Lord , refusing to get up until the shackles of my past are broken off my life and every root of bitterness in my heart is destroyed.  I want to be so drenched in worship that I can no longer hear the whispered lies of satan.  This will also be a time of prayer and fasting for my son.

I went to an estate sale on my way back from working at Davey's.  I had not plans to stop but mom gave me some $$$$ to look for a few things.  As I was looking at the books (DANGER, DANGER), one of the family members asked if I was looking for something in particular.  I mentioned no, but noted they had quite a bit that would do well in our church library that we are establishing.  Praise God!  They donated 2 boxes of christian books, VHS and dvd's by Joyce Meyer, Max Lucado, Billy Graham, etc.  It was the end of the sale and they said they would much rather donate them than have to move them again.   Plan on taking some to the ranch with me.

I have worked for Gene since 1996 and while I have had days off, here and there, taking a lengthy vacation just hasn't been possible.  Granted, I am only taking off  5 actual work days but 10 days in a row is good for me.   I once took off 5 days to go see Waylon in Minnesota.  Of course, my boss called me while I was away, which is why I am grateful for no cell phone or computer at the ranch.  Monday and Fridays are report days.  If I do not pull in the sales data, I lose it.  Gene has no more idea than a goose how to get into those programs and do the reports.  I got some people at our clients offices, who agreed to pull in my sales data for me, otherwise, I couldn't do this.  Ain't God good!!!!

On the side, I want to enjoy laying outside in the cool of the morning.  Sure hope the hammock is still usable and hasn't rotted away.  I also plan to enjoy, in the heat of the day, a dip in the tank.  The tank is about 3.5' tall and 8' around.  Hopefully I can put the lounge chair in the tank and sit and enjoy a cold Dr. Pepper and read a good book while becoming more wrinkled than I already am.

Of course, God has been known to change my plans so will see what happens.






4 comments:

  1. I wish you well. The lack of distractions would probably kill me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love life in the slow lane, the less distractions, the better.

      Delete
  2. oh good for you!! a retreat...spending time with God...to me that sounds like a slice of heaven.
    my favorite books to read are the lives of the saints....and this is what they write about so many times...wishing you peace!

    ReplyDelete